SUMMARY OF POSITION
The person in this position provides services in the residential treatment program and Beacon School. The assistant assists the classroom teacher and reports to the Behavior Support Specialist. At Wiley Center the person is responsible for providing primary care to the children in a specific house. He/She is to ensure the safety and well-being of the children and provide any necessary direct care. While working at Wiley Center, the employee is responsible to the house supervisor of the assigned house as well as the BSS.
- Must have a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent plus one year of experience. A Bachelor’s Degree in social services is preferred.
- Minimum age requirement is 21.
- Experience working with children and/or adolescents is required.
- Must have the physical health and capacity to demonstrate regular job attendance and when necessary to physically manage clients’ aggressive or self-injurious behavior.
- Must be able to drive a car/van and possess, or obtain at hire, a class D Tennessee operator’s license including a for hire endorsement.
- Must successfully complete TCI training and update bi-annually.
- Must successfully complete CPR training and update annually.
- Must successfully complete First Aid training and update every three years.
- The position involves a risk of exposure to communicable diseases; therefore, the employee must be familiar with/and practice Universal Health Precautions.
- Must subscribe to the Agency’s Mission Statement and Organizational Values.
- Must demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the various cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of the clients.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES – BEACON SCHOOL
- Assist Teacher with student academic instructions.
- Assist Teacher with behavioral interventions.
- Substitute in the absence of Teacher.
- Collect, record, and maintain precise data on student attendance, behavior, and academic performance.
- Adhere to Emergency and Safety Procedures, and to guidelines related to cleanliness and upkeep of facility.
- Assist with dispensing medications according to defined procedures.
- Attend all scheduled educational staff meetings.
- Provide constant supervision of students while on duty.
- Build a positive atmosphere at Beacon School.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES – WILEY CENTER
- Provide childcare service and constant observation of clients while on duty.
- Provide a systematic routine for residents in house life including establishment of a house schedule, a house duty assignment, a predictable routine, and a consistent positive reinforcement system as set forth.
- Provide transportation for children to and from appointments, school, social activities, etc.Provide planned recreational and therapeutic activities for children.
- Provide input, written or orally, during all client staffings.
- Monitor schoolwork and behavioral contracts.
- Document child’s activities and behaviors using daily client logs, baselines, and frequency counts.
- Dispense medication to residents.
- Document medication dispensation, census, and USDA data on appropriate reports.
- Complete entries in daily communication log detailing house activities.
- Read daily client log at beginning of shift.
- Complete all required documentation before ending shift.
- Carry out individual client training programs, including reinforcement contingencies, behavioral management, and behavioral consequences as set forth.
- Assist other teacher counselors/staff in dealing with crisis, i.e., assisting in taking clients to time-out, medical emergencies, etc.
- Participate in pre-service and on the job training programs.
- Treat clients with respect and promote an awareness of and sensitivity to the cultural backgrounds and needs of the clients served.
- Adhere to the program guidelines as defined in the Residential Competency Training.
- Ensure the highest standard of cleanliness and upkeep of residential facilities.
SECONDARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES – BEACON SCHOOL
- Assist teacher in academic programming.
- Assist other educational staff as needed.
- Assist in file maintenance.
- Assist with paper duplications (Xerox).
- Communicate with residential staff, outside agency personnel, student family members, and visitors in a positive, considerate manner.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Communicate concerns regarding individual children to appropriate supervisory staff.
- Voice displeasure, concerns, and/or issues confidentiality with supervisory staff.
SECONDARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES – WILEY CENTER
- Complete laundry and housekeeping assignments as needed.
- Supervise work therapy for clients.
- Communicate concerns regarding house routine, clients, and relationships with co-workers to house supervisor.
- Attend training and orientation sessions as scheduled and pursue any related independent study or course work to meet annual requirement.
- Attend house team meetings and agency staff meetings as scheduled.
- Pursue assigned readings on an on-going basis (client files, treatment plans, training materials).
- Inspect the house on a daily basis to determine the need for maintenance repairs and complete necessary requests.
- Train clients in fire safety measures and conduct fire drills at least twice monthly.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by House Supervisor.
Holston Home for Children offers a robust benefits package including Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
Please send your resume to KylieShaw@HolstonHome.org