The Therapeutic Recreation Specialist will plan and carryout adventure-based activities (i.e. biking, camping, canoeing, caving, hiking, swimming, equestrian, indoor climbing gym, fishing, rock climbing, rappelling and special projects) with client groups, corporate training groups, and community groups with therapeutic and/or a skill training basis. The Therapeutic Recreation Specialist will coordinate all use of the agency’s Ropes Initiative Course (Eagle’s Quest) and will assist other agency staff in developing programs for at-risk community youth and other targeted populations. In addition, the Therapeutic Recreation Specialist will assist the Equine Specialist with horse programming as needed and the daily upkeep of the stables, arena, pastures, and grounds.
• Possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a social service field with experiential recreational experience and certification in ABC programming.
• Experience working with children and adolescents (experience with emotionally or behaviorally troubled youth preferred).
• Broad experience in recreational and adventure-based activities and willingness to be trained and certified in all aspects of adventure-based counseling.
• Group processing skills.
• Must have the physical health and capacity to demonstrate regular job attendance.
• Good communication skills, including public speaking.
• Certifications in American Red Cross First Aid, CPR, and water safety, as well Challenge Course Certifications including Course Management. Ability or willingness to achieve Equestrian Training, including Eagala therapy from a nationally recognized association.
• Must possess valid Tennessee Driver’s License.
Holston Home for Children offers a robust benefits package including Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send your resume to Careers@HolstonHome.org